PROGRAM MANAGEMENT | PROJECT MANAGEMENT | CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
Brooklyn Business Center Office Renovation
CMAA NY/NJ Chapter
Project Achievement Award Winner 2014
Market: State & Local Agencies
Services: Project, Construction & Relocation Management
Purpose: Complete interior renovation of the Brooklyn Business Center & City Register’s Office in the Brooklyn Municipal Building.
Scope: Temporarily relocate 100 occupants; Demolition and Renovate Interior of 2 floors, consisting of 24,000 SF; and Relocate tenants back into the new spaces.
- During demolition, uncovered unforeseen conditions in subfloor
- Occupant requested changes to the finishing methods and materials, to include marble columns, bronze doors, mechanical and plumbing desires, and more - increased the scope by 55% of the original
- Original Contract Completion period was 12 months
- Faced with delays getting contractor started because registration issues
- Delays because of the change in materials and scope
- Delays as a result of Hurricane Sandy
- High profile and visibility; and coordination of many stakeholders, building tenants.
- Continuous occupation of building during construction
- Occupants received all of their requested changes
- Maintained coordination with all stakeholders and tenants
- Despite the changes in scope and 4-6 months of delays, construction was completed within the original 12-month period
Owner: NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services
Square Footage: 24,000
Construction Value: $8.8M
Construction Period: 12 months